Welcome to Hawick Vets
We are a friendly veterinary practice situated in the Scottish Borders town of Hawick, providing routine and emergency veterinary care to all species of companion animals, horses and livestock. We cover a large local area centred around Hawick, including Langholm, Kelso, Jedburgh, Selkirk,and south towards Kielder. We currently have six vets and seven members of the nursing and support staff working from our purpose built surgery. We are a veterinary nurse training practice and are delighted to have two student nurses learning alongside the team.
The History of Hawick Vets
Our practice started life in the 1960s as a small clinic on the south side of Drumlanrig Square. By the early 1970s, the practice had expanded and moved to a larger premises on the north side of Drumlanrig Square where the business remained until 2011.
In 2011, our practice relocated to a brand new, purpose built clinic on Earl Street, near to Morrisons supermarket. The site had been empty for several years since the previous business, a garden centre, closed. Interestingly the site now occupied by the supermarket and ourselves was once known as "Lawrie's Denn" and was the location of one of the country's oldest livestock auction premises from 1883 up until 1993.
Before and after the redevelopment of the Earl Street Site
Hawick in early 1900's and the site of the current practice (railway running through the middle, mart in the foreground):